Skip to main content

When Someone You Love Is Struggling: How to Support Someone Experiencing Suicidal Thoughts

When someone you love tells you they’re struggling with suicidal thoughts, it can be terrifying.

You may immediately start thinking:

What am I supposed to say?

What if I say the wrong thing?

Should I leave them alone?

Do I need to watch them all the time?

What if something happens and I could have prevented it?

Whether it’s your sibling, friend, partner, child, parent, coworker, or someone else you care about, supporting someone through suicidal thoughts can feel like an enormous responsibility.

There is something important I want you to remember:

You can be part of someone’s support system without becoming their entire safety system.

1. Listen Before You Try to Fix It

Sometimes our first instinct is to make the person feel better.

“Everything is going to be okay.”

“Don’t think like that.”

“You have so much to live for.”

“But look at all the people who love you.”

Those statements usually come from love, but someone experiencing suicidal thoughts may need something different first: a safe place to tell the truth.

What if we tried something like this: 

“Thanks for trusting me.”

“I’m here to listen to you or just sit.”

“You’re feeling matter to me I want to support.”

“What has been feeling the hardest lately?”

You don’t have to immediately have an answer. Sometimes listening is part of the support.

2. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask Directly

If you’re concerned that someone may be thinking about suicide, it’s okay to ask.

“Are you thinking about suicide?”

“Have you been thinking about hurting yourself?”

Being direct doesn’t put the idea into someone’s head. Instead, it gives them permission to talk openly about something they may already be carrying alone. Take their response seriously, even if they try to minimize it afterward.

3. Help Them Connect With More Support

You may love this person deeply, but love does not make you their therapist. Encourage them to connect with appropriate professional support, such as a therapist, physician, crisis professional, or another qualified mental-health provider. You can help with the connection without taking over the entire process.

That might look like sitting beside them while they make a call, helping them identify someone they trust, encouraging them to attend their therapy appointment, or helping them communicate that they’re struggling.

Let me tell you what isnt the goal: 

You arent handling this for them rather than making sure they arent going through this alone. 

4. Know When It’s Bigger Than a Conversation

There is a difference between someone sharing difficult thoughts and someone being in immediate danger. If the person indicates they are in immediate danger, has taken steps toward suicide, or you believe they may act on suicidal thoughts soon, treat the situation as an emergency. At that point, protecting their immediate safety takes priority over keeping a secret, avoiding conflict, or worrying that they’ll be upset with you.


Contact appropriate emergency or crisis services and seek professional assistance.


5. Don’t Promise to Keep Suicidal Thoughts Secret

Someone you love may say:

“I dont want anybody in my business.”

You can respect someone’s privacy while also recognizing when safety requires additional help.

Try saying these scripts:

“Listen, I care about you too much to promise that I’ll keep something this serious a secret I can promise, I wont tell anybody that is not of service to support you." 

"I care about your well being and making sure I see you tomorrow, so I wont promise that I can keep this a secret if I believe you’re in immediate danger. 

"You're safety is my priority and me holding this as a secret is not safe, I just want to make sure you are supported." 

Safety isn’t betrayal.

6. Check In — Without Becoming a 24/7 Monitor

Checking in can be simple.

“Thinking about you today. How are you doing?”

“How has today been compared to yesterday?”

“Do you want company or would you rather have some space?”

“Who else is part of your support system right now?”

"I sent you a care package." 

"I cooked do you want to come over and eat?" 

"I was going to run some errands want to join." 

Support doesn’t mean watching their phone, analyzing every social-media post, staying awake all night every night, or believing you can never leave them alone again. When fear takes over, supporters can slowly begin organizing their entire lives around preventing something from happening. That’s too much for one person to carry.

7. Pay Attention to Yourself Too

Supporting someone experiencing suicidal thoughts can bring anxiety, guilt, fear, anger, exhaustion, and even resentment.

You may find yourself constantly wondering:

Are they okay?

Should I call them?

What if they don’t answer?

Did that text sound different?

Should I cancel my plans just in case?

Your mental health matters too.

You are allowed to sleep.

You are allowed to work.

You are allowed to laugh.

You are allowed to spend time with other people.

You are allowed to have boundaries.

And you are allowed to seek your own support.

Caring for yourself does not mean that you care about them any less.

Remember: Support Is Different From Responsibility

Your role : You can Listen. Check in. Ask the difficult question. Encourage professional help.Take warning signs seriously. Get additional help when necessary. Continue loving them.

But you cannot control every thought, feeling, decision, or action another person makes. Sometimes loving someone who is struggling means standing beside them. Sometimes it means bringing other people into the circle. Sometimes it means recognizing: “I love you, and this is bigger than what I can handle by myself.” That’s not giving up on them. That’s expanding their support system.

A TreeTalk Reminder 🌳

If someone you love is struggling, you don’t have to choose between caring for them and caring for yourself. There can be room for both.

Be present.

Listen without judgment.

Take concerning statements seriously.

Connect them with appropriate help.

Know when something requires emergency intervention.

And remember:

You can be part of their support system without becoming their entire safety system.

TreeTalk, PLLC — Mental Health Is Mental Wealth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the TreeTalk Virtual Treehouse 🌳

  Welcome to the TreeTalk Virtual Treehouse 🌳 A place to talk, learn, reflect, and grow. Hey, y’all! I’m Christin N. Dickinson, a Licensed Professional Counselor and the founder of TreeTalk, PLLC. And I want to officially welcome you to the TreeTalk Virtual Treehouse. When I created TreeTalk, I wanted mental health conversations to feel different. I wanted to create spaces where people could learn about themselves, ask questions, challenge unhealthy patterns, and talk about the things we sometimes don’t know how to talk about. The Virtual Treehouse is an extension of that vision. So, what is the Virtual Treehouse? Think about an actual treehouse. It’s a place you climb into, get comfortable, talk, think, laugh, learn, and sometimes just get away from everything happening on the ground. That’s what I want this space to become, just virtually. Here, we’re going to talk about real mental health in real life. We may talk about anxiety and depression one week and...

Therapy Isn’t Just for When Everything Falls Apart

Hey yall!  Have you ever had a person or even caught yourself saying "I dont need therapy theres nothing wrong with me."  I find that  alot of people wait until life is on FIRE before even considering therapy. The relationship is falling apart, anxiety is unbearable, work is overwhelming, grief has become difficult to manage, and here you are completely burned out. Now therapy becomes the emergency room. What if therapy could also be maintenance? You don’t have to be in crisis or have gone through a traumatic past to benefit from having a space dedicated to understanding yourself. See that's what therapy boils down to no matter the style or therapist, its ALL ABOUT YOU and FINDING YOU! Therapy can be where you learn your patterns before they become problems. Where you improve communication before the relationship reaches its breaking point. Where you process stress before burnout. Where you learn boundaries. Where you explore who you’re becoming. Where you make healthier ...