Sometimes the hardest part of a painful experience isn’t only what happened. It’s the embarrassment attached to it.
"I can’t believe I let that happen."
" I should’ve known better."
" What are people going to think about me?"
"Why didn’t I leave?"
"Why didn’t I say something?"
"Why did I react like that?"
Embarrassment can make us hide experiences that actually need care.
We avoid talking about them. We isolate. We replay what happened. We blame ourselves. We imagine what everyone else would say if they knew. Eventually, secrecy can make the experience feel even heavier. Something happening to you or something you regret doing does not have to become the definition of who you are.
There is a difference between saying:
“Something happened that I’m embarrassed about.” and “I am embarrassing.” One describes an experience. The other turns the experience into your identity. Healing often requires separating the two.
You may not be ready to tell everybody and you don’t have to. Having at least one safe place where you don’t have to hide can begin taking some of the power away from embarrassment. That could be therapy, a trusted person, journaling, prayer, or another space where you can process honestly.
TreeTalk Takeaway:
You don’t have to tell everyone your story, but you deserve somewhere you don’t have to hide from it.
Comments
Post a Comment